Add Google Drive to File Explorer in Windows
If you guys have used Google, I am sure you’d have heard about Google drive. In the rare chance that if you have not – Google Drive is actually a cloud-based data storage service. That helps to backup and sync your files and folders as well. We can also use Google Drive for editing documents online, taking a backup, and saving data on the cloud for easy and anywhere access. Let’s now discuss Add Google Drive to File Explorer in Windows. Let’s start
Most of the time, to access all of these services of Google Drive, we have to open it on our web browser. Would not it be great if we could add Google Drive to Windows Explorer or File Explorer, because it is now known in Windows 10?
Windows syncs along with One Drive by default and also you can access the One Drive files right from File Explorer. There are even a few other apps such as Creative Cloud that will sync along with the File Explorer right after installing Adobe Creative Cloud apps. But, if you guys are a heavy Google Drive user like myself. And want to see all of your Drive files right from the File Explorer, setting it up is as easy as installing an application from Google actually. So, let’s now add Google Drive to Windows File Explorer.
Add Google Drive to File Explorer in Windows
Unlike the Google Drive app that only worked online. Backup & Sync will basically create a Google Drive folder right inside the file explorer and it let you access the files offline. You guys can delete or drop files into that folder and the changes may take effect in Drive instantaneously. Begin via downloading Backup and Sync from Google on your PC. Then run the app and click on ‘Get started’.
- The next step is basically to connect your Google account to the app. Then sign in along with your Google Account proceed to the next step.
- On this page, the app will now create a copy of the files on your PC in Google Drive. This will permit you in order to access all of the locally stored files from around the globe. Select the folders that you guys want to backup to Drive automatically. In my case, I basically chose a Desktop, Documents, and photos.
- If you want to backup your pictures to Google Photos, then toggle this checkbox marked in red below and tap on “Next”.
- Now, it is time to create a folder that will save a copy of your Drive files. Check the box next to “Sync My Drive to this computer” and then just set the location of that folder. The app will now sync all of the cloud files to this folder. Tap on the Start button in order to finalize the setup.
- You guys can either select to sync each and everything or a few selected folders to the local folder on your PC. The files and folder that you select on this page will show up locally. And then you guys can even access them when you are offline. Yes, you’d also be able to change the folder afterward as well.
- Tap on Start and then tap on Continue on the Pop-up.
- Now, you can also see the Google Drive folder in the location that you set during configuration. It may take time in order to get all of your drive files relying on your data and the internet connection.
The folders that you guys chose to back up to Drive will provide you the visual representation along with a green tick mark.
You guys can also check the backup status from the taskbar as well. This will provide you a log of all the files that have been backed up or downloaded actually.
- If you guys delete a file from the Google Drive folder in File Explorer, then it won’t be deleted from the Drive. This feature is turned off by default. So that you do not accidentally delete all of the files from your Drive. But, if you want to turn this feature on. Then tap on the Backup and Sync icon from the System Tray > press the three-dot menu > Preferences> My Laptop> Always delete both copies.
Fair warning, you guys will lose all of your data if you accidentally delete the local folder.
- If you want to back up your files that are just shared with you and not actually on your Google Drive. Then just simply open Google Drive in a web browser> Shared with me> Right-tap on the Shared file or folder and tap on Add to My Drive.
It will then start syncing to your PC and you would be able to access it. That file from File Explorer as well.
For Gsuite Users
If you guys have a Gsuite account, the Drive File Stream app would make more sense for you actually. Gsuite account is nothing, however, a work or school account. Such as [email protected] is probably a G Suite account, however, [email protected] is actually a regular account.
- Start through downloading and installing the Drive File Stream app on your PC and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Just like we did before, you have to Log in along with your Google account and proceed to the next step.
- Unlike Backup and Sync, there are actually no more settings in order to change, and rather than creating a Folder. It basically creates a separate Drive that provides you a dedicated space in order to access the files.
- Unlike Backup and Sync, you guys cannot back up local files to Drive. Through simply dragging and dropping the files to the shared drive actually.
You can use this tip in order to add Google Drive to your Documents folder in Windows. So it is always really easy to find that actually.
Well, using Google Drive on a PC is great, however, most of the time it can be a struggle to find your Google Drive folder whenever saving a file. So, using the tip below you guys can add the Google Drive folder to Documents in Windows Explorer. Or also even set it as your default save location, so whenever you guys save Windows will then start at the Google Drive folder.
- Right-tap your Documents folder and choose Properties
- Choose “Include a folder…” and then locate your Google Drive folder
- In order to make Google Drive your default save location, and then choose the Set save location
- Then tap on OK or Apply as well
Change Google Drive Settings
Pause/Resume Google Drive Sync
In order to pause or resume sync, you can tap on the Google Drive icon from the system tray. And then tap on the three dots next to your account name actually.
- Tap on Pause in order to pause the sync.
- then tap on Resume to restart the sync.
Sync Videos And Images
- To sync videos and pictures, tap on Preferences through following the procedure mentioned above.
- If you want to change the quality of the picture to be uploaded, click on Original quality. A new window pops up where you can choose the image quality.
- The original quality option can also consume the limited space on your drive instantly. You can select the high-quality option, which provides you free unlimited storage for your pictures.
- Next, click on the checkbox to Upload newly added pictures and videos to Google Photos. In order to upload the images on your PC to Drive.
- At the bottom of the window, there is also an option named USB Devices and SD Cards. You can tap on this to take a backup of images in cameras or a USB Drive connected to a PC.
- Finally, you can choose the option to remove/delete the images.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this “add google drive to file explorer” article then let us know in the comments section below.