“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”? How Do We fix This Issue For Windows, Mac, and Linux
Whether you are trying to share files between computers on a local network. But you just not able to make a connection, so then it could point to an issue with your network configuration. However, you probably connected to your network, but accessing other computers and devices on your network probably be blocked. Here you will learn “Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”? How Do We fix This Issue For Windows, Mac, and Linux?
Similarly, this is often due to the wrong settings on your device. Or also a broken network connection. But fortunately, it is normally the simplest method. In order to fix if you can’t see other computers on a network. Windows, macOS, and Linux PCs all suffer from this problem from time to time. But here are some quickest fixes you are also able to use to resolve the issue.
- 1 On the Windows 10 Turning the Network Discovery-(“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
- 2 Configuring Your Firewall to permit the File and Printer Sharing
- 3 On Windows 10 Turning the PC Browser Service-(“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
- 4 Detect Your Local Network Configuration
- 5 View Other PCs On Network With macOS (“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
- 6 Way to view the Other PCs On Linux
- 7 Organizing Your Network Correctly
- 8 (“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)Conclusion
On the Windows 10 Turning the Network Discovery-(“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
Although for most users of Windows, the major reason for hidden computers on a network is due to the network discovery settings on Windows. Similarly, when this setting is turned off, your computer is hidden from the local network, and other computers are hidden from you.
Follow the following steps
- Here you are able to first of all check if network discovery is turned on by opening Windows File Explorer. Now in the Navigation Pane on the left, you have to press the Network tab.
- Similarly, now the Windows will warn you impulsively whether network discovery is turned off. Simply you are also able to go to Settings > Network & Internet > Sharing Options > Turn on network discovery. In order to re-enable this, but Windows will helpfully give a shortcut to turn on it at the top of the File Explorer window. So you have to press the yellow bar. That will be appearing at the top to bring up a quick options menu.
- In the options menu that appears, press Turn on network discovery and file sharing.
- Although whether your network is recently set as a public network. So then the Windows will ask you if you like to switch your network to private. Additionally permit network discovery on public networks. This is not normally advisable. Although whether you are on your own network. So then choose the No, make the network that I am connected to a private network option instead.
However, at times the network discovery has been turned on. So then you should be able to view other PCs in the Networks tab. But only whether those devices have network discovery turned on, too. You are also able to access devices directly by typing their IP address or hostname in the address bar at the top of the File Explorer window.
Related Article: Alternatives To Little Snitch For Mac & Windows
Configuring Your Firewall to permit the File and Printer Sharing
However, the Windows Firewall is created to block unessential traffic to and from your computer. Whether network discovery is turned on, but you still can not view the other PCs on a network. So then you probably have to whitelist File and Printer Sharing in your firewall rules.
Firewall & network protection. (“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
- For doing this, you have to first make right-click the Windows Start menu and press Settings. Similarly, in the Windows Settings menu, just press Update & Security > Windows Security > Firewall & network protection.
- Now in the firewall & network protection menu, you should tap the Allow an app via firewall option.
- Similarly, in the Allow apps to communicate through Windows Defender Firewall window. Then press Change Settings to permit access. Here drop via the list till you find the Fill and Printer Sharing. Also, the File and Printer Sharing over SMBDirect options and so you have to tap the checkbox for each option. Available beneath the Private column in order to permit this via the firewall. However, you are also able to turn on the checkboxes under the Public column. Whether you like to permit public network access. But this is not recommended. Press OK to save once you are done.
- You will have to repeat this method for any other third-party firewalls you probably be using. Including a network firewall (if you are using one).
On Windows 10 Turning the PC Browser Service-(“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
Similarly, this is unlikely to be the reason for your problems. But whether you are running out of software solutions to try. So then you should view whether the Computer Browser system service is turned on and running on your computer. This is used by Windows to list local computers on your network in File Explorer.
- In order to begin, press the Windows key + R on your keyboard. In the Run dialog box, type services.msc, then press OK to launch.
- Similarly, in the Services management comfort the window, adjust the Computer Browser service. Then view the current status under the Status column. Whether the status is currently Stopped or Disabled. So then you will have to re-enable it—right-click and press the Properties option.
- Now you should tap the Start button in order to turn it on in the Computer Browser Properties window. So then you should choose the Automatic under the Startup type-scroll-down menu. To ensure it begins automatically in the future. Press OK to save.
Also, Read this article: How Do I Create Text File In Windows, Mac, & Linux:
Detect Your Local Network Configuration
Although whether you are still not able to view other PCs on a network. So then you will have to double-check. Whether your computer is properly connected to your local network. Now run a physical check on your router cables if you are on a wired network and if you are also on a wireless network. To confirm your connection to the wireless access point is active and stable.
One way to check this is to use the ping command from a PowerShell or command line. This will permit you to view if your computer connects to your network in a proper way. And is also able to examine other local network devices. But for doing this you have to, know the local IP or hostname for another local PC.
- Similarly, in order to use ping, you have to right-click on the Windows Start menu. Then press Windows PowerShell or Windows PowerShell (Admin). From the PowerShell terminal. So here you have to type ping x.x.x.x or ping hostname, replacing x.x.x.x and hostname with either a local IP address or PC hostname.
Whether the ping command responds, and then a network connection problem should not be preventing you from viewing the other PCs on your network. So then this would likely recommend a software or network configuration problem elsewhere.
- Now you are able to easily test your network configuration for issues in your Windows settings. Then right-click the Start menu and press Settings to access this. Here press Update & Security > Troubleshoot > Network Adapter and also tap Run the Troubleshooter.
Whether the Windows are able to check any issues with your network configuration. And it will automatically attempt to fix them. This probably checks, like, that a static IP address is being used for your network device. And whether this is set up incorrectly. So then you won’t be able to interact with other devices on your network.
- In order to turn this in, you should right-click the Start menu button and press Settings. From the Windows Settings menu, then press Network & Internet > Status > Change adapter options.
- Similarly, now in the Network Connections menu, right-click on your network device and press Properties. In the Properties window, you have to tap the Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and press Properties.
- Moreover, in the IPv4 Properties window, confirm that Obtain an IP address automatically and get the DNS server address automatically are selected and turned on. So press OK > Close to save.
You probably also find that the issue that is not with your PC configuration, but with your network. For example, a feature known as wireless isolation (sometimes called client isolation or AP isolation). However, some routers will hide wireless devices from each other on a local network, preventing you from connecting to them from your computer.
Here you probably have to meet the user manual for your wireless router. To determine the way to turn off this feature, but you should be able to find it under your local router’s wireless settings.
View Other PCs On Network With macOS (“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)
You may know that the Apple devices are normally very good at checking other Apple devices. Similarly, it is also able to normally examine other Windows and Linux PCs, too. Whether you like to view other computers on macOS. You can perform this by tapping the Network tab in the core macOS Finder app.
- However, whether you are not able to view any other PCs on your network. So then you probably have to connect to it manually. For doing this you have to, go to the Finder app and press Go > Connect to Server.
- Simply in the Connect to Server window, you should type the IP address or hostname for the computer. You like to connect to the Server Address box. Press Connect to connect to the server, following any on-screen tips to give the right credentials to make the connection.
- Whether you can not view the network computer. However, after creating a direct connection, then you will have to confirm the option to see it is turned on in Finder. Simply in order to perform this, press Finder > Preferences from the menu bar.
- Now in the Finder Preferences window, you have to confirm that the Connected servers checkbox turn on in the Sidebar tab.
Read this article: How to Prioritize Wi-Fi Networks on Mac, iOS and Android
However, at the time it checks, so then you should see a Connected servers tab in Finder. At where your connected PC will display for you to access. So whether you can’t see or connect to another computer or Mac, or if no devices are available in the Networks tab in Finder. So then it probably causes by an issue with your macOS network connection.
Simply now you are able to double-check this by tapping the Apple menu > System Preferences > Network. In the Network settings menu. To determine your connection type in the left-hand menu—the icon next to your connection should be in green.
If it is not, so then you will have to run via some clear checks (physical wiring, WiFi connectivity, etc). In order to restore your connection, then repeat the steps above.
Way to view the Other PCs On Linux
The Linux software packages differ from distribution to distribution. So there is no one-size-fits-all approach. Whether you can’t see the other computers on a network from Linux PCs at least with a graphical user interface.
To detect whether your computer can see other devices, you can easily use the arp-scan network scanning tool. For scanning your network for devices instead. This will list all visible devices on your network.
- Install the arp-scan package in order to run this scan. Then on the Ubuntu and Debian-based operating systems, you can perform this by opening a terminal and typing sudo apt install arp-scan.
- However, at the time arp-scan is install, so you have to type arp-scan -l in the terminal and press enter. Whether it does not work, try sudo arp-scan -l instead.
Although a list of visible devices on your network will list. Simply with IP addresses, MAC addresses, and device types display. So whether this command works, then network discovery is possible from your Linux PC. Then you should view and connect to other computers. By using your Linux distribution’s file management tool or using the terminal.
Similarly, if it fails, then it will likely specify an issue with your overall network configuration or firewall. You are also able to take the normal steps (physical checks and connection tests) to try to resolve these.
So whether you are using Ubuntu, you can quickly see and then connect to examined network devices. By opening the File Manager app and also tapping the Other Locations tab.
Organizing Your Network Correctly
As our fixes mentioned-above display, a few ways are also there to troubleshoot a network connection. Whether you are not able to view other PCs on a network. So most issues can resolve with an improved network setup. However, by adding checking your device is in a good position for WiFi. Or if you are using ethernet, that your wiring correctly connect.
Furthermore, if your WiFi connectivity is causing issues, switching to an all-wired network could resolve the issue over the long term. Ethernet is better than WiFi for certain conditions. But it is not a miracle fix.
Must Read this post: How to Fix Can’t Read From the Source File or Disk
(“Can’t See Other Computers on a Network”)Conclusion
If you are trying to share your files between PCs on a local network. But you just not able to make a connection, so then it could point to an issue with your network configuration. However, you probably connect to your network but accessing other computers and devices on your network probably blocked.
To fix if you can’t see other computers on a network. Windows, macOS, and Linux PCs all suffer from this problem from time to time. But here we mention some quickest fixes you are also able to use to resolve the issue.
Let us know your own tips and fixes for the network issues in the comments below.