Do you want to find large files on Windows 10 PC? If you instantly like to free-up memory space on your Windows, then the efficient way to do that is to find large files on your Windows 10 desktop PC. Here’s the question is how do you go about looking for large files on your PC?
Windows provides you with different ways to search for all the large files that are saved in your drives. Either you can use the built-in tools on your PC to look for these files or just take a third-party application that will do the task for you. Also, you’ll find the files that take a significant amount of your memory space.
When any of these files are found, then it’s up to you what you need to do with them. If removing them permanently is not something you would like to do, then you can transfer them over to cloud storage or to an external hard drive.
Different Ways To Find Large Files In Windows PC:
- File Explorer
- Command Prompt
- Largest Files Finder
- TreeSize Free
File Explorer comes with tons of hidden features to allow you to manage or organize, and find files on your PC. Also, it helps you to find files that are of a specific size on your PC. After using this feature, you can simply locate those memory-hogging files and get them erased from your computer.
Before you do that you want to first turn on the hidden files option. As it ensures that Explorer seems for large hidden files or in addition to looking for the normal files.
However, be careful while dealing with the hidden files. Mostly, these are app or system-related files which, if you remove, will cause your apps to behave weirdly and also lead your whole system to crash. Before you remove anything, just ensure you know what it is and you’ll be good to go.
- Head over to the Start Menu and look for Show hidden and tap on Show hidden files and folders.
- When the dialog box successfully opens, simply tap on the View tab located at the top. You’ll then view different various File Explorer options that you can modify.
- Simply find the option that says Show hidden files, folders, and drives and add a checkmark in it. Then tap on the OK button to store your changes.
- Then double-tap on This PC on your desktop to simply launch File Explorer. However, when the utility launches, tap on the search box located at the top-right corner.
- When the new menu item will be added to the screen top. You can then tap on the newly added item saying Search to check further options.
- Choose the Size option and then choose an appropriate option from the list. It’ll allow you to find large files available on your computer.
- If you think that a large file is not available in the default menu. Then input in size:>1GB (replace 1GB with your size) in the search box and press Enter. However, it’ll only look for files that are larger than your required size.
- Also, when the search results appear, right-tap anywhere blank and choose Sort by followed by Descending or Size. However, it’ll ensure the largest file located at the top of the results.
Searching Large Files Via Command Prompt
You can also use the Command Prompt utility to retrieve a list of all the files that are bigger than a specified size value. However, the list of files can be exported to a text file for you to then actually find those files on your PC.
Hit Windows + R, input in cmd, and press Enter to launch the utility.
When you successfully launch, input the following command and press Enter. It’ll find all the files that are greater than 1GB in size. You can also change the value in the command so it finds files that you think are large.
forfiles /S /M * /C “cmd /c if @fsize GEQ 1073741824 echo @path > largefiles.txt
- Head over to the newly created largefiles.txt file and it’ll have a list of all the large files residing on your PC.
Use Largest Files Finder
File Explorer or CMD are not the only ways to find large files on your Windows 10 PC. There are some third-party apps that can also help you to find these files.
Largest Files Finder is popular apps that help you to find the top 100 largest files on your PC. It takes a few minutes to scan drives sized up to 200GB. Also, it doesn’t need any installation and works straight out of the box.
- Download/Install and launch the app on your PC.
- When it is successfully launched, it automatically starts looking for large files on your PC. Once done, you can also review the results for yourself.
If you like to remove any files from the search results, you can then do so very easily ease from within the app. All you need to do si to right-tap on any of the files and choose Delete.
TreeSize Free is another tool that helps you to find space-hogging files on your PC. It needs a small installation and then it works smoothly.
- Simply install or download the app. Then launch the app on your PC. Make sure to execute it with admin rights so it can look at the folders that it can’t otherwise.
- You’ll then view a tree of your folders with space they occupy on your display screen. You can double-tap on any folder to check its subfolders and their sizes.
- Also, you can sort the directories simply by the Size column.
It has many other customizable options as well should you like to use them. Feel free to use other options you think will make it easier or simpler to find large files on your PC.
If you know any other method to find large files on Windows 10 PC then let us know below. For further queries and questions let us know below!