How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE
Recently we have been talking a lot about the advantages and reasoning behind unmounting an external storage device or USB stick before you remove it actually. The same basically goes for SD cards used in Android phones and tablets as well. Let’s now discuss How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE.
Well, when I first got an Android device, I actually thought the only safe way to remove the SD card was by first turning off the device actually. However, that is not the case, as you can mostly just unplug it without problems. But, to be on the safe side, it’s actually a best practice to safely unmount an SD card before you guys remove it. This safe unmounting will not only avoid you from losing data, however, it also lets you disconnect the SD card without even physically removing it should you ever have a need for that as well.
- 1 How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE
- 1.0.1 Why you guys should not remove a USB drive without unmounting it
- 1.0.2 Insert and remove a memory card
- 1.0.3 Corrupt or malfunctioning SD card
- 1.0.4 Format SD card | How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE
- 1.0.5 An instant recap with some other important tips to keep in mind
- 1.0.6 What’s more
- 1.0.7 Conclusion
How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE
- Well, from the home screen just open the settings menu on your device. This menu can also be accessed from the App Drawer through opening the “Settings” app as well.
- Within the Settings, you need to tap on the Storage button.
- Then scroll down the Storage screen, and near the bottom, you will find what we are actually looking for. Press the Unmount SD Card button. And then tap OK in order to confirm in the pop-up that appears.
The SD card will then unmount, and a notification will show there saying “SD card safe to remove. You can also safely remove the SD card.” You guys can now pull it out of your phone or tablet and not risk losing any data as well. The device also will then stop scanning the SD card, and then you won’t need to worry about the system accessing it, even though if you haven’t unplugged it yet.
If later you guys want to mount the SD card back in, then there are two ways to do it. The first is just to physically remove it, and then reinsert it as well. The other way basically involves going back into Storage >> Settings and using the Mount button which will only appear when the card is unmounted actually.
Why you guys should not remove a USB drive without unmounting it
- In normal cases, some read or write operation might be in progress and you simply disconnect the drive. This will actually corrupt your data.
- Also, most of the operating systems basically use caching features that mean OS holds on to the operations to be performed on an external drive till a minimum threshold of operations is reached post which it executes all those operations actually. This is basically for performance as well. Whenever you eject your drive it basically instructs OS to flush the cache and then complete any pending operations. Now if you guys eject the disk and operations are not flushed your data is lost as well.
So always eject or unmount your drive before you remove it. Also the same for Android as well. You guys can go to
- Settings -> Storage -> Unmount SD card
Just do not just remove it when your phone is on. There might be some of the apps on your SD card, images, or any other things that might be in use. This also means that you don’t have to turn off your phone to remove the SD card. Just simply unmount it actually.
Insert and remove a memory card
This is basically where the mounting and un-mounting comes in. If you guys ever want to remove your memory card from your phone. Then you should go into the Settings of your device then click on Storage (or SD card and phone storage) > and press the Unmount SD card. This will then tell the phone in order to stop communicating or transferring information from the memory card to the device actually. Or also vise versa from the phone to the memory card, and permits you to remove your memory card safely.
If you guys do not unmount your SD card or power off the phone before you remove your memory card. Then you can corrupt any files that might have to transfer whenever you removed the card and then run the risk of damaging the memory card.
Corrupt or malfunctioning SD card
If you guys think that your memory card might actually have corrupted files or might be malfunctioning. Then I recommend that you should save the information from the memory card to a computer. And then erase or format the SD card as well.
Format SD card | How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE
You guys can also erase a memory card via your phone with very little effort through first clicking the option in order to unmount the SD card. When you do it often provides you a message to let you know that the SD card has been successfully unmounted and is now safe to remove as well. If it does not then it should just switch from saying unmount SD card to Mount SD card as well. When you do it, then it will present you with the option to Format an SD card.
Do not format an SD card until you have saved all of the information to a different source actually. Formatting the SD card is such as performing a factory data reset on a phone. Formatting it will basically erase all of the information that is currently saved to your memory card.
An instant recap with some other important tips to keep in mind
- You guys should always either unmount your SD card or power off your phone before you remove your memory card.
- Also unmounting the SD card does not really result in a loss of data or anything saved on your SD card. It just simply tells the phone to stop showing things from the memory card actually.
- Some of the applications also use the memory card in order to store information to or function properly as well. When unmounting your SD card from your phone then you might get a little warning message that let you know that unmounting the SD card can cause some applications to stop functioning properly. That’s actually fine. Just tap on ok.
- You guys do not need to unmount your SD card in order to remove the back of your phone. You just really have to unmount your SD card whenever you plan on physically removing the memory card from the phone.
- You guys can also unmount the SD card if you want to verify it. Those things are actually saved onto your SD card as well. If you guys go into a file you assume is on your memory card, then unmount the SD card, the file(s) on the SD card should vanish actually.
- If you guys just got a memory card or are planning on buying a memory card. Then do not forget to set the default storage location of your camera to your SD card. Through going into your Camera Settings and also switching from phone to memory card. That way whenever you take a photo or record a video it goes directly to your memory card.
- Then you do not have to worry about transferring photos and videos to your memory card later, each and everything will be saved there already. This also helps provide better security for your media files as well, should the phone malfunction or become damaged. This permits you to simply take your memory card out of the broken phone. Just put it on the replacement phone and you are good to go actually.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this “How Do I Unmount an SD Card on ZTE” article then let us know in the comments section below.