How to Fix Broken Registry Items – Tutorial
Ever wondered to fix broken registry items? The Windows Registry is a big database containing configuration settings for hardware, programs, and apps executing on your PC. Every time you install a program, its keys or values are rooted in the registry. Now from where you can perform or configure troubleshooting steps to fix a damaged program.
When the registry is not properly maintained, lots of corruption errors or registry errors occur and create many issues in the OS.
But this article will show you how the registry works. Also, you’ll learn the causes of broken registry items/registry errors, and offer the best solutions to fix broken registry items in Windows 10.
- 1 Working Of Windows Registry:
- 2 Broken Registry Items In Windows 10 – Causes
- 3 Fix Broken Registry Items Issues
- 4 Steps To Fix Windows 10 Registry Errors
Working Of Windows Registry:
Whenever you install any program on your PC, the registry gets file references or a new set of instructions. As they are added in a particular location for the program.
The OS continuously refers to it for more information. It includes file locations, the program options, new software installation, modifying your hardware, and so on.
Not all Windows apps use the registry though. However, some app saves their configurations in XML files while the portable type saves data in executable files.
If you like to configure or access the registry. Then you’ll use the Registry Editor, a free utility added by default with every Windows model since Windows 95.
Also, the free registry editing utility is not the registry itself. It’s like a way through which you can view and make modifications to it. Also, you can access it through the Command Prompt, and run the regedit command.
On the other hand, right-tap Start. Then choose Run. Input regedit.exe and tap OK or hit Enter on your keyboard just open the Registry Editor.
In the registry are registry values, registry hives, or registry keys. The registry values are steps having registry keys, which are folders with data. They all are found in many folders that categorize all registry data within subfolders named as registry hives.
After you make modifications to the keys or values through the Editor. Then you can modify the configuration controlled by a particular value. That is why modifications made to any setting are also made to the required areas in the registry. However, some of them can’t take effect until you restart your PC.
Make sure, it’s important that you know about changes you made to the registry through the editor.
Note: Before you make any modification or resolve broken registry items, make sure you restore the registry.
Broken Registry Items In Windows 10 – Causes
There are lots of other ways that Windows Registry gets errors in it. Also, these are not the type that can easily solve by a registry cleaner. In fact, registry cleaners don’t erase errors as such, just some unwanted entries they find in the registry.
Register cleaner fixes some “errors”. It includes duplicate or empty keys, unused values, and orphaned registry keys left over whenever you uninstall the software from your PC.
The actual registry errors, which show true issues with the registry of your PC OS are the serious type. As it causes issues like a missing or corrupt registry, BSOD, securing Windows from booting properly, etc.
In this case, a registry cleaner fails to resolve registry errors in Windows 10. Also, it can’t do anything at all without a working registry. Therefore, if you get these errors on your PC, don’t install a registry cleaner; it won’t resolve registry problems.
Well, some reasons for registry errors such as duplicate keys, registry fragments, orphaned entries, and system shutdown errors are not worth worrying about.
However, if any viruses or malware attack and change the registry. Then this might be a big issue problem and needs immediate attention and action. However, spyware, viruses, and Trojans install registry entries that can’t be removed manually. They also safeguard or secure you from opening executable files after modifying file associations. That is why you want to resolve this type of registry error immediately.
Fix Broken Registry Items Issues
In case if your registry is corrupted, the PC won’t restart. As it happens when the PC is turn off, and you can’t monitor its cause as it unloads drivers or processes during shut down.
However, unexpected shutdown or power failure can also corrupt the registry hives. In this situation, a process could’ve been changing part of the registry hive and the unexpected power failure or shutdown stopped the process. Then the registry hive is left in an inconsistent state, and once you restart your PC, the OS will try to load the hive but search data that it can’t interpret, leading to an error message.
If your files have faulty hardware or corrupt. The hardware involves writing to a disk-like cache, processor, RAM, or disk controller. Then these too can also corrupt your registry and many other systems and data on your PC.
However, registry corruption also occurs at shutdown, and you might not explore this until you try loading it at the other restart. In this situation, the hive is written at shutdown, and the process might stop a component in the PC or the PC itself before the writing is successfully completed.
Steps To Fix Windows 10 Registry Errors
Follow the ways to fix Windows 10 Registry errors:
- Registry back up.
- Create a System Restore point.
- Recover your registry from the back up or restore point.
- Use System File Checker to scan your registry.
Registry back up
If you try to do registry backup then try the steps given below:
- To do this, right-tap Start and then choose Run.
- From the Run box, input regedit and tap OK or hit Enter on your keyboard.
- From the Registry Editor window, right-tap Computer located at the top left-hand side, and then tap Export.
- Specify the backup file a name. Then save it in cloud storage or flash drive.
Create a System Restore point:
If you try to create a system restore point then try the steps given below:
- Head over to Control Panel and then tap System & Security.
- Tap System.
- From the left side, tap Advanced System Settings.
- Now tap the System Protection tab, choose tab Create, and hit OK.
Recover your registry from the backup or restore point:
- Move back to the Run window (right-tap Start>Run) and input regedit. Then hit OK or press Enter.
- From the Registry Editor, tap File>Import.
- When the Import Registry File appears, choose where you like to save the backup. Then tap on the file and tap Open.
Also, you can restore it from the restore point.
- Simply tap Start and input create a restore point in the search bar.
- Choose the ‘Create a restore point’ tab from the results and then select System Restore.
Use System File Checker to scan your registry:
Well, the System File Checker (SFC) is a software that checks your drive for any registry errors and also it can replace corrupt registries.
- Head over to Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- Input sfc /scannow and hit enter.
If you like a PC free of registry errors in the future, here are some important things you can do:
- Properly uninstall apps or programs you don’t use. Use a removal tool that helps with this besides using the Add/Remove Programs window in Control Panel.
- Execute regular virus scans and remove any malware that installs on your registry. Also, it causing programs on the PC to crash.
- Erase unwanted registry entries and repair missing files and ActiveX extensions through a registry cleaner.
Here’s all about ‘Fix Broken Registry Items’. There were some of the best ways to fix registry errors. If you find it helpful then share it with others. Also, if you like to ask anything or want to share anything regarding this guide then let us know below!