How to fix the error “The Scratch Disk is Full” In Photoshop
Would you like to remove the error “the scratch disk is full” in photoshop? The “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop normally takes place at the time when no memory space is available there on your PC to store Photoshop’s temporary files. Similarly, when this error occurs, Photoshop either crashes or doesn’t load at all.
Just a few things are there that you are able to do to fix this “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop. Similarly, this includes allowing Photoshop to use more RAM. And removing the temporary files to regain your memory space.
- 1 How to Free-Up Memory Space On Your PC to Fix Photoshop Scratch disk full error:
- 2 Remove all the Photoshop Temporary Files (Photoshop Scratch Disk Full)
- 3 Way to Turn the Scratch Disk on Startup
- 4 Way to Turn the Scratch Disk Drive in Photoshop
- 5 How to Turn Off The Auto Recovery Feature In Photoshop
- 6 Allow The Photoshop To Use More RAM
- 7 Remove The Photoshop Cache Files
- 8 Reset The Values For Crop Tool
- 9 Way to Defragging Your Hard Drive
- 10 Rearrange The Photoshop Preferences
- 11 Photoshop Scratch disk full Conclusion:
How to Free-Up Memory Space On Your PC to Fix Photoshop Scratch disk full error:
Although when the above error occurs, so at the time the first thing to do is clear all the junk files from your device. Similarly, this will free-up your memory space that Photoshop can then use to store the temporary files.
On Windows, you should Check Your Storage
- Head to the Settings app.
- So then tap System on the following screen.
- Choose the Storage to see your PC’s storage details.
- Here you will view what is occupying what amount of memory. Thus this will help you to decide what to remove.
On Mac Look over Your Storage
- Tap the Apple logo at the top-left corner and select About This Mac.
- Tap the Storage at the top and select Manage.
- Similarly, it will display what content is using, what amount of space as well as offer suggestions to free-up memory.
Also read those article: How To Turn Off Autoplay Videos On Chrome
Remove all the Photoshop Temporary Files (Photoshop Scratch Disk Full)
However, Photoshop makes and stores temporary files on your storage. So these files can safely delete after you closed Photoshop. This helps you reobtain some of your memory space.
- Here press the Windows + R keys at the same time to go running. Simply then type the following into it, and press Enter.
- Simply, when the temporary folder opens, there you have to find the files named Photoshop or PST.
- Right-tap those files and choose Delete.
- Right-click the Recycle Bin on the desktop. Choose Empty Recycle Bin.
- Now on Mac, you have to use Spotlight to search for temporary files and remove them.
Way to Turn the Scratch Disk on Startup
Whether you have assigned multiple scratch disks to Photoshop. You are able to literally switch between them on Photoshop’s startup. However, this solution is able to work the best. When Photoshop does not open as a result of the “scratch disks are full” error.
- Organize the Photoshop on windows. Then press and scroll down the Ctrl and Alt keys at the same time.
- Head to Photoshop and press and hold down the Command and Option keys concurrently on Mac.
- Here choose a new scratch disk from the Startup scroll-down menu. Tap OK.
Way to Turn the Scratch Disk Drive in Photoshop
Would like to turn the scratch disk drive in photoshop? By default, Photoshop just uses your operating system’s drive as the scratch disk. Whether you have multiple drives or partitions, then you are able to easily obtain Photoshop to use them and also avoid the “scratch disks are full” error.
- First of all, you have to organize the Photoshop on your PC.
- Then tap the Photoshop menu at the top. Here choose Preferences, and select Performance.
- Turn on and off the scratch disks in the Scratch Disks section.
How to Turn Off The Auto Recovery Feature In Photoshop
However, Photoshop impulsively saves your files as you work on them. But this enlarges the amount of memory that it uses on your PC. Similarly, if auto-recovery saving is not much use to you. So then you are also able to turn off it to save some space on your scratch disks.
- Here you first have to set-up the Photoshop on your device.
- Tap the Photoshop at the top. Then choose the Preferences, and select File Handling.
- Untick the box that says Automatically Save Recovery Information.
Allow The Photoshop To Use More RAM
The one method to fix the scratch disk problems with Photoshop is to let Photoshop use more RAM. Simply this will let it to store more of the temporary files on the RAM space on your scratch disks.
- Head to Photoshop on your device.
- Then tap the Photoshop option at the top. Here choose Preferences, and also select Performance.
- Similarly, on the right-hand side pane, you will view a box labeled as Let Photoshop Use. So in the next option, you have to enter the amount of RAM. That you desire for Photoshop to use. Then tap OK.
Remove The Photoshop Cache Files
Wherever you create a change to an image in Photoshop, an older unchanged version of your image is saved as a cache file on your PC. Thus these files finally grow and start taking too much of your memory space.
Similarly, you are also able to clear these cache files to easily fix the scratch disk error. But at the cost of not being able to bring back the conversions for your image.
- Now you should access Photoshop on your device.
- Then tap the Edit menu at the top. So now you have to choose Purge and then tap on Select All. Thus this will remove all the Photoshop cache files.
Reset The Values For Crop Tool
Although the crop tool in Photoshop allows you to crop your photos by your specified size. Similarly, if you select the wrong units while specifying the size. Say selecting centimeters rather than pixels. You end-up making your image immensely large.
However, that image holds a large amount of memory space which just causes the “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop.
- Simply access the crop tool in Photoshop. Delete any values from the given boxes.
- However, when you enter any values, then you can use pixels as the unit whenever possible.
Way to Defragging Your Hard Drive
It is quite possible to defrag your scratch disk drive in Windows in order to receive some continuous memory space for Photoshop to use. Thus this should help you to get rid of the scratch disk error.
- First of all, you have to here search for the Defrag in the Start Menu search. Then tap Defragment and Optimize Drives.
- You will see here that your hard drive partitions listed on the following screen. Choose the just one that you use as your scratch disk. Tap the Optimize button.
Rearrange The Photoshop Preferences
Although if you have created loads of conversions to your Photoshop preferences. One or many of those adjusted options may be causing the problem. So resetting the Photoshop preferences to the defaults should fix this for you.
- Here quit Photoshop on your device.
- Tap and hold down the Shift + Ctrl + Alt (Windows) or Shift + Command + Option (Mac). Set up Photoshop.
- You will get a prompt asking if you desire to remove the Photoshop settings file. Tap Yes to remove the files.
Also, read this article: How to Print Passport Photos on Windows
Photoshop Scratch disk full Conclusion:
Although by default, Photoshop is able to use your operating system’s drive as the scratch disk. Whether you have multiple drives or partitions, so then you can easily obtain Photoshop to use them and also avoid the “scratch disks are full” error. The “scratch disks are full” error in Photoshop normally takes place at the time when no memory space is available there on your PC to store Photoshop’s temporary files.
Well, in this article I explain: How to Turn The Scratch Disk Drive In Photoshop? I hope that you will like this article the most in case of queries you can freely ask us in the comments below.