How to Fix When Your Second Monitor Is Not Detected In Windows
Second monitors offer a simple and easy way to improve enhancement or develop your gaming experience. So not only that, but it is also able to provide you a big canvas. That just acts as an additional workspace for general multitasking. In this post, we are going to solve: How to Fix When Your Second Monitor Is Not Detected In Windows.
Connecting your second PC monitor is normally a plug-and-play method. But in some examples, Windows 10 is not able to detect the monitor. A few basic root causes are there for this issue. Like an injured or malfunctioning cable, your computer deficiency support for the second display. Thus you have an outdated driver, or the display drivers can not control the second display.
Whether your second monitor is not detected. So you should use this guide to troubleshoot and resolve the issue that is with your monitor.
- 1 What Should You Do When Your Second Monitor Is Not Detected in Windows 10
- 1.1 Restarting Your Computer (Second Monitor Is Not Detected In Windows)
- 1.2 In order to Detect the Second PC Monitor Force Windows 10
- 1.3 Connect a Wireless Display
- 1.4 Check Your Display Adapter
- 1.5 Update, Reinstall Or Reverse The Graphics Driver
- 1.6 The second Monitor is not detected-Conclusion
What Should You Do When Your Second Monitor Is Not Detected in Windows 10
You can make a start with the following fundamental troubleshooting tips. Similarly, these probably resolve your problem with the second monitor not detected. Before you have to dig deeper into other problems
- Primarily, you have to make sure that you are using the right cable to connect your computer and the second monitor. So if the cable is injured or is not able to work accurately. Then the Windows won’t detect the second monitor. If you change the cable and the new cable functions with your display setup so that it means the prior one is damaged.
- Now you have to disconnect any accessories like connected adapters, dongles. Or docks that could cause hardware conflicts between your computer and the second monitor.
- Here you have to try using the second PC monitor with a different system to isolate. If the main problem is with the primary system or the monitor.
- Similarly, check whether the second monitor is connected to a power source. Some monitors have a switch at the back to power on the display.
- Confirm the correct input (HDMI, DVI, etc) is chosen by using the built-in controls on your monitor.
- Simply nowhere you have to connect another working monitor. In order to check whether the issue is with the graphics card.
- Now here you probably have to update the firmware of the display. That you are setting up as a second monitor to fix any compatibility issues or ditches. You are able to easily perform this by going to the display manufacturer’s website. Now check the support page for information on way to apply the new firmware update.
Must read: What Is System Guard Runtime Monitor?
Restarting Your Computer (Second Monitor Is Not Detected In Windows)
Restarting your PC can functions effectively for many problems. Adding when your second monitor is not detected. Simply a restart closes all other procedures that are running. That probably interferes with the connection between your computer and the second monitor.
- In order to restart your computer, tap Start > Power > Restart.
In order to Detect the Second PC Monitor Force Windows 10
Whether no physical connection problems are there with your computer and second monitor. So then you can easily use the Settings app to force detection of the second display.
- Head to the Settings > System.
- Tap on Display.
- Now head to the Rearrange your displays section. Tap Detect.
Connect a Wireless Display
Although if your physical connection (through cable) does not help Windows 10 to detect the second monitor, so then try connecting a wireless display instead.
- Go to the Settings > Devices.
- Now you have to tap Bluetooth and other devices.
- Choose Add Bluetooth and other devices.
- Now you should tap Wireless display or dock.
Make sure that the wireless display is on and discoverable. Similarly, choose the display from the list, and then abide by the on-screen instructions to finish the setup.
Check Your Display Adapter
If you can connect one external monitor, but the second monitor not detect. However, now it is possible that your graphics card (also called a display adapter) cannot support multiple monitors at the same time. Similarly, in this case, a display splitter won’t help you to increase your display to the second monitor either. Because it doubles the same signal rather than making two independent signals.
Whether your computer. only has a single video output port. So that it means that you are able to only support one external monitor. In order to support multiple monitors. You will have a USB adapter for an extra video output port or a docking station.
Update, Reinstall Or Reverse The Graphics Driver
A peculiar, outdated, or corrupted graphics driver probably one of the basic causes why Windows 10 won’t detect your second computer monitor.
In order to resolve this problem, you are able to easily update, reinstall, or revoke the driver to a prior version to fix and restore the connection b/w your PC and the second monitor.
Way to Update a Graphics Driver
- In order to update the graphics driver, simply make a right-click Start > Device Manager. Then tap the Display adapters category to enlarge it.
- And then right-click on your display adapter (graphics card) and choose Update driver.
- Tap to Search automatically for updated driver software. Here, you have to restart your PC.
However, the Windows Update will automatically download and install the update if it finds a recent driver. So check if the second monitor is detected after updating the driver.
Reinstall The Graphics Driver
- To reinstall the graphics driver you have to right-click Start > Device Manager > Display adapters. Right-click your PC’s display adapter. Tap Uninstall device.
- Now uncheck the Delete the driver software from this device box and then click Uninstall.
- Now in a simple manner restart your computer. Then go back to the Device Manager. Find and right-click your computer’s name under Computer. Tap Scan for hardware changes.
Moreover, during startup, Windows will try to automatically reinstall the graphics driver. After which you are able to try to connect to the second monitor again.
Reverse The Graphics Driver
Although a driver update is able to easily revoke Windows 10 from detecting your second monitor. Whether this occurs, you are able to roll back the prior graphics driver to fix the problem.
- Make a right-click Start > Device Manager. Then double-click the Display adapters category to enlarge it. Right-click your PC’s display adapter and tap Properties.
- Tap the Driver tab.
- Now here you have to tap Roll back driver. Whether the Rollback driver button is unavailable (grayed out). So you cannot roll back the driver. Although you should be able to find an older version of the driver from your device manufacturer’s support website.
Thus if the rollback driver button is present. So then tap Yes and then restart your PC.
Related Article: If Someone is Monitoring your Computer. How to know?
The second Monitor is not detected-Conclusion
Connecting your second PC monitor is normally a plug-and-play method. But in some examples, Windows 10 is not able to detect the monitor. A few basic root causes are there for this issue. Like an injured or malfunctioning cable, your computer deficiency support for the second display. Furthermore, in this post, I have mentioned above the ways to Fix When Your Second Monitor Is Not Detected In Windows.
Well, we hope that you will like this article the most. In case of any queries, you can ask us in the comments below.