How to Fix Youtube Videos Not Playing
YouTube is the largest online video platform around the globe with up to 1.5 billion logged-in visitors each month. Around 400 hours of content are uploaded each minute, and more than a billion hours of videos are watched per day. We are going to discuss How to Fix Youtube Videos Not Playing.
However, there have been occasional times when the service goes down actually. Unfortunately, Google’s App Status dashboard does not include YouTube, so that it can be difficult in order to determine if it’s just you. We generally recommend you to go straight to the horse’s mouth – at least on Twitter. The official Twitter account for @TeamYouTube will generally advise of issues that are is happening.
- 1 How to Fix Youtube Videos Not Playing
- 1.1 Ensure The Browser Isn’t Causing Problems
How to Fix Youtube Videos Not Playing
What are the reasons behind YouTube not working? In this article, we will explore more than 15 things that you can try whenever you find that YouTube just is not working right. At least one of these tips should fix your issue actually.
It’s very rare for YouTube to have a complete outage, however, it has happened before. The first thing to check before anything else is if the problem is with YouTube itself, instead of anything on your side. Two sites in order to help you do that are downdetector.com and outage.report. They crowdsource user reports to show you what issues are being reported and from where in the world it is happening.
Whenever YouTube has major downtime, news outlets will also report on it actually. The instant way to check is by going to Google News and searching for “YouTube down” or “YouTube outage”.
Is YouTube Having Technical Issues?
The next thing is to check is, even though you can access YouTube, is the site having internal technical issues or not? This happens more often than folks think actually.
Some of the issues that can represent internal technical issues:
- Specific buttons not working.
- Menus behaving strangely.
- Video control buttons not working right.
- White or black video whenever you press the play button.
The Youtube Help page is the place to go to search for the particular issue you’re seeing.
You may find that other users have had the same issues in the past, and you can also learn from the solutions within the community too.
YouTube Ads Causing The Problem? | youtube videos not playing
Another common issue that can happen whenever you try to play YouTube videos is that the video won’t play. Or it will play after multiple attempts and then stop playing again too.
Before you guys attempt all of the fixes below, it’s actually a good idea to make sure the ads on the video aren’t causing the problem. To test this case, just choose the link to the channel page that contains the whole playlist of videos. That includes the one you can’t play.
To fix this
- Launch Google.com in your browser and make sure you are signed into the same Google account that you are using on YouTube.
- Choose the Google profile icon at the upper right and then select Manage your Google Account.
- Choose Data & personalization from the left menu now.
- Then scroll down to Ad personalization and choose Go to ad settings.
- Ensure that the toggle for Ad personalization is ON turn on.
If this is turned off, then it could potentially impact if or not you can play some YouTube videos with ads. Turning on it could fix this issue.
Check your internet connection
Well, your internet connection might be the root of the problem. Try performing a Google search, or just visit a random website in order to see if it loads or not. If it does not, take a look at your connection settings to make sure everything checks out as well. You can also reset the router, or provide your ISP a call if that doesn’t help. But, if the connection establishes, the search for the right fix continues as well.
- Visit a random website to check if you are connected to the internet.
- Connect to the internet if you are not already.
- Reset the router if you’re having problems.
Private Video? | youtube videos not playing
If you guys are trying to see a private video, you will then need to make sure that you’ve been invited to see the video before you can play it. Make sure the person who created the private video knows how you can change the video privacy settings.
- You guys need to have your own YouTube account and then be signed into it.
- If you have multiple YouTube accounts, then just make sure you are signed into the one the video was shared with.
- You have a direct link to the private video when it’s share with you.
Update YouTube App On Mobile
If YouTube videos aren’t working on your mobile device, then you may have to update the YouTube app. This is because some of the updates may break old versions of YouTube on mobile devices where the app has not been updated yet.
Updating the app can actually resolve those issues.
In order to do this on Android:
- First, open the Google Play Store app.
- Click the menu icon and choose My apps & games.
- Click Update to the right of the YouTube app.
On iOS devices:
- Just open the App Store app on your phone.
- At the bottom of the screen, and then choose Updates.
- Then, to the YouTube logo in the list, just choose Update to update the app.
When the YouTube app updates, restart your mobile device. Then reopen the app and try to view the YouTube video again.
Is YouTube is banned in your area?
There are some parts of the globe where the government blocks YouTube. Such as, China is probably the biggest example of such developments. So, it can be possible that your country has blocked access to YouTube for some reason too. Or, simply, the government at your home has blocked access to YouTube during exams too.
In either case, you guys can check out the website Down For Everyone or Just Me to know exactly what is the case as well. You can just simply use a different internet connection like your mobile hotspot to know if YouTube is down or blocked via your ISP.
Ensure The Browser Isn’t Causing Problems
If you guys are using Chrome to see YouTube videos. Then there are a number of Chrome settings that can cause YouTube to stop working.
If you can watch YouTube videos in incognito mode, however, can’t get them to work in the regular version of Chrome in spite of disabling all the extensions, removing the cache and cookies is actually the way to go.
Tap on the icon (three vertical dots) in the top right corner of the browser. Now select “More tools”, and then choose “Clear browsing data” as well. Now select the “All time” option from the drop-down menu. And then clear the data through tapping the dedicated button.
If you want to do this:
- First, choose the three dots in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser in order to open the menu.
- Choose More tools from the menu.
- Now select the Clear browsing data.
- In the Clear browsing data window, you have to make sure Cookies and other site data and Cached images and files are both selected, and then choose Clear data.
Most of the time, recent Chrome updates can lead to older versions of Chrome having issues playing YouTube videos. You can also resolve this through updating your version of Chrome to the most recent version.
In order to do this:
- Choose the three dots in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser in order to open the menu.
- Choose Help and then select About Google Chrome.
- Now on the About Chrome page, Google will check that you have the latest version. If you guys do not, the update will take place automatically actually.
Check Proxy Settings
Most of the time, malicious apps or browser extensions may update your proxy settings and cause issues along with using YouTube.
If you want to set your Chrome proxy settings back to default:
- Just type chrome://settings/system in the browser URL field.
- Choose to Open your computer’s proxy settings.
- Now in the proxy settings window, make sure Use a proxy server under Manual proxy setup is actually set to Off. And that Automatically detect settings under Automatic proxy setup is also on as well.
If you guys are using a browser on a company network that uses manual proxy settings. Just reach out to your IT department in order to find out what those are and then get help setting them back to the correct settings as well.
When you do that, go back to the YouTube video you need to watch and refresh the page. In order to see if you’ve solved the problem.
- Choose the three dots in the upper right corner of the Chrome browser and then choose Settings.
- Then scroll down to the Privacy and Security section and select Site Settings.
- If the status isn’t currently “Allowed”, then choose it and turn on the toggle to the right of Allowed.
Update Graphics Driver
If you guys are seeing a black, white, or green screen whenever trying to play YouTube videos. Then the issue could be your graphics driver.
An instant fix for this is making sure you have the latest driver for your graphics card.
- Choose the Start menu, type run, and then select the Run app.
- Now type devmgmt.msc and tap Enter.
- In Device Manager, just expand Display Adapters.
- Right-tap your graphics card and choose Update Driver.
- Choose Search automatically… and Windows will then search the internet for the latest driver software and then install it automatically.
If all else fails, then the YouTube video that you are trying to see may be restricted in your region. A good workaround for this is just to try to use a VPN service in order to access the YouTube video that you want to watch. This “tricks” YouTube into wondering you’ are connecting from a different country. That may permit you to see the video.
Another fix that has worked for most of the people is making sure you have the latest Windows updates installed on your system. It is a really good idea to enable automatic updates so this does not actually cause a problem with viewing YouTube videos as well.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this youtube videos not playing” article then let us know in the comments section below.