How to Increase Download Speed in Windows 10
Well, your Internet connection is not always the culprit for slow download and upload speeds actually. Most of the time, your Windows 10 PC limits your speeds for many reasons. Luckily, you guys can change these speed-throttling options and also get faster upload and download speeds on your Windows 10 computer actually. Let’s now discuss How to Increase Download Speed in Windows 10.
You guys can modify all of these options yourself without any assistance from your Internet service provider (ISP) as well.
- 1 How to Increase Download Speed Windows 10
- 1.0.1 Turn on the Limit Reservable Bandwidth Feature
- 1.0.2 Change The Limit of Bandwidth In Windows 10
- 1.0.3 Close Applications That Use Too Much Bandwidth
- 1.0.4 Turn off Metered Connection
- 1.0.5 Disable all the Background Apps
- 1.0.6 Flush DNS Cache and Remove the TEMP Folder
- 1.0.7 Delete Temporary Files
- 1.0.8 Disable the Updates Delivery
- 1.0.9 Use a Download Manager Program
- 1.0.10 Use Another Web Browser
- 1.0.11 Change Your WiFi Password
- 1.0.12 Delete Viruses & Malware From Your PC
- 1.0.13 Conclusion
How to Increase Download Speed Windows 10
So if you were thinking how can you increase download speed in Chrome or when you are playing games. Then the methods mentioned below will actually be of great help.
Turn on the Limit Reservable Bandwidth Feature
Usually, Windows 10 is set to use about 80% of the total bandwidth actually. The remaining 20% is basically for internal use. This means that you don’t get the full speed of your internet connection. Fortunately, there is also a way that you guys could increase the download speed. Well, it turns out you can turn on the Limit reserved bandwidth option. In order to get an internet speed boost through turning on the reservable bandwidth, then just do the following:
- You have to use the Windows icon key + R combination in order to open the Run dialogue box.
- In the box, just enter gpedit.msc and click Enter or tap Ok.
- The Group Policy Editor window then opens up. (This is actually a powerful Windows feature and may either make or break your system with just a few simple taps).
- Now you have to follow this route: Computer Configuration > Administrative Templates > Network > QoS Packet Scheduler.
- Just find the option Limit reservable bandwidth and then right-tap or double-tap on it to open options and choose Edit.
- The extension window will have three options order to choose from, namely Not Configured, Enabled, and Disabled. Now check the Enabled box as well. Under Options, and also set Bandwidth Limit (%) to somewhere between 0% and 80%. Tap on Ok.
Change The Limit of Bandwidth In Windows 10
Windows 10 basically uses a certain amount of your bandwidth in order to download updates for the Windows OS and apps. If it uses too much bandwidth, then you can also add a limit.
- Just open the Settings app.
- Then tap on Update & Security.
- Choose Advanced Options from the middle pane.
- Scroll down and then tap on Delivery Optimization.
- Select Advanced options at the bottom as well.
- You guys will see a slider for both Download settings and Upload settings. There, you can also specify the amount of bandwidth that Windows can use for core tasks as well.
Close Applications That Use Too Much Bandwidth
Some of the apps use your Internet connection in order to download, upload, and sync files. If you want to improve your download and upload speeds, then you should keep these apps closed or disabled. When you are downloading or also uploading something.
You guys can also find these data-hogging apps in a menu on your Windows 10 PC actually.
- You need to open the Settings app.
- Choose the Network & Internet.
- Then select Data usage from the left sidebar.
- Now tap on View usage per app on the right-hand side pane.
- You guys will see your apps and the data they use. Find the apps that use too much of your data and then turn off or close those apps.
Turn off Metered Connection
A metered connection basically lets you set a cap on your Internet connection’s data usage. If your current connection has this feature turned on, you should then turn off it to get faster upload and download speeds actually.
- First, open Settings on your PC.
- Then choose the Network & Internet option.
- Tap on the Change connection properties option.
- Scroll down unless you see Metered connection. Turn the toggle for this option to the OFF position as well.
Disable all the Background Apps
In order to increase the download speed in Windows 10, then try to reduce the bandwidth drain. You can also accomplish this through omitting all the background apps. Most of the time there are apps that are of no use, and so that it becomes imperative in order to quit them all. This method basically improves the performance of our Internet connection and in turn. It helps you to work efficiently mostly whenever you are searching for how you can increase download speed on Android.
You can also turn off the background apps option on your PC. That’ll avoid all your apps from running in the background.
- Open the Settings app.
- Choose the Privacy option.
- Then scroll down in the left sidebar and select Background apps.
- On the right-hand side pane, you have to turn the Let apps run in the background option to the OFF position.
- You can also choose individual apps in order to stop them from running in the background.
Flush DNS Cache and Remove the TEMP Folder
At times, data downloads slowly whenever using Windows 10 not due to the OS but because of the web browser actually. You can also increase the download speed in Chrome and other web browsers as well. There are a lot of tips or methods that actually boost the download speed, however, this is one of the best. You have to follow these steps:
- Right-tap on Start and choose Command Prompt (Admin) from the context menu.
- Well, as soon as the confirmation box of User Account Control opens, you just click Yes.
- The Admin (Command Prompt) window then opens. In the window, you have to enter the command ipconfig /flushdns and tap Enter.
- In the very same command window, you need to enter the command Exit, then tao Enter. The window then closes.
- Simultaneously hold the Windows key and R to open the Run dialogue box. Enter %TEMP%, select Ok and hit Enter.
- The TEMP folder will open. Tap on Ctrl and A together in order to choose all of the contents in the folder.
- Right-tap on the selected contents. then tap on Delete.
- Now close the current window, then just return to the Desktop screen.
- Restart your PC. The download speed should be better now actually.
Delete Temporary Files
Well, too many temporary files can slow down your PC. This can also affect your upload and download speeds. You can get also rid of these temporary files in order to boost your upload and download speeds as well.
Removing the temporary files won’t really affect how your apps function.
- Tap on the Windows + R keys at the same time in order to open Run.
- Then type the following into the Run box and click Enter.
- Just choose all files in the temp folder, and then right-click any one file, and select Delete.
- Right-tap on the Recycle Bin on your desktop and choose Empty Recycle Bin.
Disable the Updates Delivery
You guys have read this far either as you really want to know all the ways of how can you make Windows 10 download faster. Or if you haven’t been able to solve the slow download speed problem via the above four tips. You can also switch off the update delivery notifications in order to try and also increase your Steam download speed. This last tip is actually the best for those looking to increase the download speeds on their PS4s. There is actually no need for any software whenever you are applying this fix. If you want to turn off the updated delivery optimization feature, then follow these instructions:
- To start, press the Windows shortcut on your keyboard. Just open the Start menu.
- Search for the Settings option. It should be above the Power options actually.
- Choose the Update and Security option in the Settings window as well.
- Now select Advanced options.
- Another page will then open up; choose Choose how updates are delivered. You also have to uncheck the box on this option.
Disabling the option of choosing how updates are delivered helps your system in order to easily download over the internet at faster speeds. If it is left turned on, then your system will satrt sending the recently updated Windows files through P2P file-sharing networks. These are hosted on different servers and it also offer no security. Other users can use your network, thereby decreasing its speed as well.
Use a Download Manager Program
The most common ways to download and upload files in Windows 10 are not actually speedy enough. There are better and faster ways in order to upload and download your files.
You guys can also use a download manager instead of your default tool to download files. These download managers basically use multi-threaded downloading that enhances your speeds too.
In order to upload the files, you can also use the upload tool that the service you guys are uploading files to provides. This sometimes gives better upload speeds than a web-based method actually.
Use Another Web Browser
If your default web browser is not downloading files fast enough, then you can also change your browser to speed-up your downloads. Some of the browsers are not optimized to fully utilize your Internet speed as well.
If you guys use Chrome, then you can switch to Firefox and also see if that helps improve your speeds, and so on.
Change Your WiFi Password
It may be that someone knows your WiFi password and is using your connection in order to download files or stream content as well. This basically consumes your Internet bandwidth. As a result, you guys will experience slower upload and download speeds as well.
One way to kick others off your network is to change your WiFi password. Then do not share the password with anyone actually.
- You have to open the settings page for your router. On most of the routers, you can also access that page through typing 192.168.1.1 in your web browser.
- Log-in to your router as an admin actually. Most of the routers use admin as both username and password as well.
- On the settings screen, then just click Wireless Settings at the top.
- Choose Wireless Security from the left sidebar as well. Your router may not have this exact option however, it should be something the same as that.
- On the right-hand side pane, you have to enter a new password for your WiFi network in the Security Key field.
- Just tap OK at the bottom in order to save your changes. Make sure to read our other tips on properly securing your WiFi actually.
Delete Viruses & Malware From Your PC
Well, one way to get faster upload and download speeds in Windows 10 is to keep your machine free of any viruses and malware. Most of the viruses can throttle your download and upload speeds.
Get a good antivirus program and also use it to scan and delete viruses and malware from your PC as well.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this article then let us know in the comments section below.