How to Show Hidden Files Windows 10 – Tutorial
If you guys do not already know, your PC has many more files than what you normally see in File Explorer. Most of these files are actually hidden via your system for certain reasons. But, if you want to access them, then you can get your machine in order to show hidden files in Windows 10. Let’s now discuss How to Show Hidden Files Windows 10 – Tutorial. Let’s start!
When you guys have made the hidden files visible using any of the methods. Then you will find them available ready to use in your folders with File Explorer as well.
- 1 How to Show Hidden Files Windows 10 – Tutorial
- 1.0.1 Using File Explorer To Show Hidden Files In Windows 10
- 1.0.2 Using Control Panel To Show Hidden Files In Windows 10
- 1.0.3 Edit a Registry Key To turn on Hidden Files In Windows 10
- 1.0.4 Recognize Hidden Files In Windows 10
- 1.0.5 Hide Files In Windows 10
- 1.0.6 Why many Files Are Always Hidden
- 1.0.7 Conclusion
How to Show Hidden Files Windows 10 – Tutorial
By default, Microsoft Windows 10 basically hides many files from view whenever you explore them on your hard drive. This protects necessary files from deletion so that the system does not damage. If you guys are the geeky type, then you will want to be able to see all of the files all the time. Just follow these steps in order to show hidden files.
Using File Explorer To Show Hidden Files In Windows 10
The easiest way to show hidden files in Windows 10 is to turn on an option in the File Explorer utility. It will then make all of the hidden files visible to you guys on your screen and it only takes turning on a single option in the tool as well.
- First, open any folder on your PC and it will open the File Explorer utility. Then tap on the View tab at the top in order to manage how the tool shows your files.
- Just make sure the menu bar expands actually. You can also toggle the menu bar through selecting the ^ at the upper right portion of the window as well.
- Choose the “View” tab.
- Now check the “Hidden items” check box in order to see hidden items.
- If you guys need more file viewing options, then choose “Options” > “View“.
Using Control Panel To Show Hidden Files In Windows 10
If you are someone who actually likes to use the traditional Control Panel utility in order to change your settings. Then you will be glad to know you can use it as well in order to show hidden files on your Windows 10 PC. When again, it only needs to turn on a single option.
- First, you have to open the Control Panel through searching for and tapping on it in the Cortana search box.
- Whenever it opens, choose Large icons from the View by option at the top. Then just find and tap on the option that actually says File Explorer Options.
- Tap on the View tab at the top in order to change your File Explorer see settings.
- You will find an option that basically says Show hidden files, folders, and drives on your screen. Turn on this option in order to show hidden files and then tap on Apply followed by OK.
Edit a Registry Key To turn on Hidden Files In Windows 10
You guys will probably not want to use a registry method for a task such as showing hidden files. However, if that is what you prefer for your tasks, then you can use it and make all of your hidden files visible in your file manager as well.
- Just tap on the Windows + R keys at the same time, and type regedit in the box on your screen, and then click Enter.
- Whenever it opens, you have to navigate to the following path.
- Now on the right-hand side, you will find many options that you can change. You want to find the one that says Hidden and double-tap on it in order to open it.
- Also, by default, the entry should have a value of 2 which keeps your hidden files hidden actually. You have to change this value to 1 in order to show hidden files on your Windows 10 PC. Make the change and then tap on OK.
Recognize Hidden Files In Windows 10
If this is your first time turning on and accessing hidden files on your machine. Then you will probably have no idea what these files actually look like. Even though these files are exactly the same as any other files on your PC, these basically look a bit different than the regular files when you see them in Explorer.
After Turning on the option in order to show hidden files. Then you will see these files with a more light color to their icons as well. If you guys are looking at a hidden folder, you guys will see that its icon does not look as solid as that of a regular folder actually.
Well, recognizing hidden files and folders amidst all of the regular ones should not be too difficult. Because their appearance makes it pretty easy for you to find them actually.
Hide Files In Windows 10
If you guys are done with what you wanted to do along with your hidden files. Then you might want to disable them again on your PC. This way, they won’t actually come in your way when you are working with the regular files on your PC.
Hiding back the hidden files is really easy actually in Windows 10. All you have to do is just turn off an option in the method that you used to turn on these files and you will be all set.
- If you guys used the File Explorer method to show hidden files. Then open a File Explorer window, tap on the View tab at the top, and then untick the box that basically says Hidden items.
- Well, if you guys went for the Control Panel method, then go up to the File Explorer Options box. There you have to choose the option that says Don’t show hidden files, folders, or drives. Then tap on Apply that is followed by OK.
- Windows Registry method users have to simply change the value of the Hidden entry to 2 and then you should be all set. It will turn off the option that shows hidden files on your computer.
Why many Files Are Always Hidden
If you guys are anything just like us, then you will probably be curious to find out exactly why your computer hides many files on your system. However, those of you hiding their own files will have their own reasons for doing this. Microsoft actually only has a single reason for it as well. In order to avoid any accidental damage to your PC.
Most of the files that are hidden by default are actually your core system files. They are hidden in order to make sure they do not really get deleted or modified. Because these are core files actually, also even a bit of a modification to them may lead to the malfunction of the overall system as well.
You are good to go. If you have any queries and issues related to this article then let us know in the comments section below.