How To Solve This Issue If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing
If your windows explorer keeps on crashing. Then this is one of the essential elements of your system. You just have to read this article. Also, you may face issues accessing files then you will have difficulties accessing files and folders on your computer. During the occasional crashes that may not be too much of an issue for you. Then if the Windows Explorer keeps crashing too often then it has an issue that can require a serious look into.
If you know what is causing the issue then you can apply some of the standard fixes. You will also see that if this will help you to fix the Explorer from crashing anymore. Now there is an actual number of ways in order to try and fix it on your Windows computer.
- 1 Solutions:
- 1.1 Ways To Update Your System If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
- 1.2 To Clear Explorer History If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
- 1.3 To Launch Folder Windows If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
- 1.4 To Disable Any Antivirus Programs If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing:
- 1.5 To Remove Items From The Quick Access Menu:
- 1.6 To Fix Corrupt Files & Drives:
- 1.7 To Disable Third-Party Extensions
Ways To Update Your System If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
In this case, if your computer is running an old version of the operating system. Then that can perhaps why the Windows Explorer keeps crashing on your machine. Also, the older version of it that often has bugs and issues that have been fixed in the newer ones.
- To Update it on your computer to the latest Windows version that should fix the issue for you.
- You just have to search for the Settings app by using the Cortana search. So, that it can also open it on your computer.
- Tap on the Update & Security on the following screen.
- Then select the Windows Update option that is available from the left sidebar.
- Tap on the Check for updates that are available on the right-hand side pane.
- In this case, if it has any updates that are available then get them installed on your PC.
To Clear Explorer History If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
This is just like your web browsers and other apps. Then the Windows Explorer also keeps a history of the activities so that it has taken place in it. In this case, It has been a really long time since this if you are using the Explorer and haven’t really cleared the history. Then the files may have accumulated in a large number and then they may be causing the utility to crash.
- You just have to clear the Windows Explorer history so that you should fix it for you.
- Now you have to use the Cortana search feature in order to search for and then open the File Explorer Options.
- Then click on the General tab if you are not already there.
- You just have to look towards the last section that says Privacy. Then you will find a button saying Clear in it. Tap on it in order to clear your Explorer history.
To Launch Folder Windows If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing :
This is unless if you have enabled the option to have a different process. Also, this is for each of your folder windows. Now the Explorer will also use a single process for all the folder windows you open. But most of the time, it can cause conflicts and then issues which may lead the Explorer to crash unexpectedly. In order to fix it then you can turn on the option that assigns a unique process to each folder and you have to open in Explorer.
- You just have to search for the File Explorer Options in the Cortana search and then launch it.
- Tap on the View tab when it opens.
- Then you will see a number of options in order to enable and disable. You have to find the one that can say and the Launch folder windows in a separate process and then tick-mark it. After that click on the Apply that can be followed by OK.
To Disable Any Antivirus Programs If Windows Explorer Keeps Crashing:
Now, the Windows Explorer can keep on crashing issues that could also be the result of a third-party app. So, by interfering with the workings of the utility. This has the most apps that won’t do that. Then there are certain types of programs such as antivirus ones that are known to cause conflicts with the built-in Windows tools.
By this, if fixing the issue is extremely easy. Then all you that can basically need to do is to close any running antivirus programs. This is on your computer and you’re good to go. Also, these programs will then not be able to touch any parts of the Explorer. Through this, you should fix the issue for you.
To Remove Items From The Quick Access Menu:
The quick access menu is a very basic feature in Windows Explorer. So, that it can lets you quickly access some of your recently and frequently used files on your computer. From this, it has a part of the utility in any issues in Quick access. This can also lead to major issues just like the Windows Explorer keep on crashing on your computer.
To disable the option you can also include the file types in the Quick access that should fix the issue for you.
- You just have to search the file for the File Explorer Options in the Cortana search and then open it.
- Also, there will be two checkboxes in the Privacy section. Those are named as Show recently used files in Quick access and then Show frequently used folders in Quick access. In this step, you also need to untick both of these boxes and then click on Apply which can follow it by OK.
To Fix Corrupt Files & Drives:
If you want to fix the corrupt files and the drives then that is also sometimes the reason why certain utilities can end-up closing unexpectedly on your machine. By this, manually finding and fixing the corrupt files that may not be an ideal solution. Also, if you are not really into any geeky things then you might prefer a simpler method.
By using windows it can actually have built-in methods in order to let you find and fix the issues. Then the related can corrupt files and drives. Also, there are commands that you can use in the Command Prompt utility on your PC in order to get rid of these problems.
- You have to press the Windows + R keys at the same time. Then type the cmd and then hit Enter.
- Now type in the following command and then hit Enter. This will also let it fully executed. You have to enter this command:sfc /scannow
- After that run the following command and then let it fix your damaged drives. The command is: chkdsk
To Disable Third-Party Extensions
In this case, if you can install a third-party app on your computer. Most of the time, they can also end-up adding their integrations to Windows Explorer. If any of those integrations can get broken for whatever reason. Then they can cause the Explorer to crash as it can’t handle a broken app integration.
Then there is a free app so that it can let you find and disable these extensions on your PC.
- You just have to download and then launch the ShellExView on your computer.
- Tap on the Options in the menu available at the top and then select Hide All Microsoft Extensions. Due to this, you can only see the third-party ones.
- You just have to select all the extensions by pressing Ctrl + A.
- Then right-click on any extension and then choose the Disable Selected Items.
- In this case, if the issue gets resolved then you can enable the disabled extensions. This is one by one and you will find out what was causing the issue.
So, this is all about windows explorer keeps crashing.
Related Articles: Steam Rom Manager: To Play Retro Games On Steam
If you may face issues accessing files then you will have difficulties accessing files and folders on your computer. During the occasional crashes that may not be too much of an issue for you. Then if the Windows Explorer keeps crashing too often then it has an issue that can require a serious look into.
Hope you like it!