How To Transcribe YouTube Video Or Audio To Text
Do you want to transcribe YouTube video or audio to text? An instant Google search to transcribe YouTube videos will either show some paid audio transcription services such as Rev or Fiverr or many other blogs suggesting audio transcribing tools where you have to enter the whole thing manually. But hopefully, there is a good way to do it.
Thanks to machine learning, now PCs can generate subtitles automatically from any audio or video. By default, If you ever listens to your voice from the microphone. And using some fine adjustment, we use this to change any video/audio to text.
This method is free. Also, it works both on Mac or Windows (can’t support mobile devices yet). And the good thing is, it also supports lots of foreign languages as well. Although you should be honest, it’s still not 100% correct. But when the audio is clearly, you can find the accuracy of 80-90%.
- 1 How To Transcribe YouTube Video Or Audio To Text
Why We Bother Transcribe YouTube Video
- SEO Benefits: Besides a blog post, YouTube can’t read your videos. So, there are things such as tags or titles, etc. These things tell YouTube what your video is all about. After adding subtitles to all your videos will tell them more info about the content.
- Accent: People come from all over the globe on YouTube and accent can become a big issue. For example – the English (US) accent is different from English spoken in India. So, for ease, the caption comes quite handy
- Transcribe other videos: If you have a Russian movie clip whose subtitles are not available on the internet
- Transcribe videos for money: If you the one who makes money after transcribing videos on Rev or Fiverr, then this method will help you to automate 80% of your work
- Repurpose the video on your article: If you have ever uploaded videos with good content and want to republish it on your blog post. Or else, you’ve found some online video lectures and like to transcribe them for academic purposes.
If you are facing this type of scenario, then this method will help.
How To Download Or Install Transcription:
Before you do the complicated work of creating subtitles for YouTube videos, it’s good to check if they already have subtitles or not. If you want to check, view for cc button located next to it, or head over to settings and check for subtitles there.
However, all the YouTube videos that are uploaded after 2014, has an auto English subtitle by default. They are very decent if you are good at understanding English. And lots of professional YouTuber also add captions. If you can view the caption, it’s very simple to download or install it.
From the video description, tap on More > Caption > Select language > you’ll then view the subtitles. Simply copy or paste it. However, for whatever reason, if you like to download the .srt file using timestamps, or like to do it with bulk videos. You can then use Down subs or Ccsubs. Also, there is a chrome extension on GitHub to do the same thing.
How To Transcribe YouTube Video Or Audio To Text
Transcribe YouTube Video Or Audio To Text With Google Documents
There are lots of video text converter offline or online tools. But I found Google’s Voice to text feature. If we look into the past, it was not quite enough, but thanks to AI, this feature offers evolved a lot.
Google voice to text, will change your audio to text in real-time. But if you try it after playing a video on one device and then record it from another through Google Voice to text. Then you don’t get too much accuracy as some of your words will be lost in the noise.
So, the tip here is to make your PC record the system audio rather than the microphone. And then play the video or audio you like to transcribe and record it using Google docs voice to text. The calculation is done on the Google cloud server, so you’ll also want the active internet for this work.
Now, let’s check how to do it.
Transcribe On MacOS
Some PCs don’t allow you to record your PC audio maybe to skip piracy (such as people using it to record Spotify songs etc.)
- Simply install or download a third-party software known as soundflower. As it’ll help us to record system audio. Once done extract it and install it.
- Then, you want to tell MacOS to use the output audio as input. If you want to do that head over to sound settings and then set soundflower2ch on both output or input.
- Then fire up Google Chrome (yes, it works only in chrome). Head over to Google Docs > Right-tap and choose Create a New Document > Tools > Voice typing.
- In the other Chrome window, head over to YouTube and play any video
- Now return back to Google Drive. Then click on the Google voice icon and choose your language or accent from the list and then initiate recording
And that’s all about it. You should now write the lyrics on your display screen.
On Windows PC
Now, let’s try to transcribe video or audio on Windows PC:
- Head over to your windows Sound settings > choose Recording Device > choose Stereo Mix and set it as default. If you don’t view the Stereo Mix option. Then right-tap and enable show turn off devices
- Then, do the same thing just like you did for macOS. Head over to Google Docs > Right-tap and choose Create a New Document > Tools > Voice typing3. Play a video > and begins recording. And it should work.
What Happen If Stereo Mix Is Unavailable?
In lots of new PCs, the sound card does not compatible with the stereo Mix option. However, if the Stereo Mix option is lost while updating your computer to Windows 10. Then you need to install Realtek audio driver and turn it on from Windows device manager. Then restart your PC and you’ll check the Stereo Mix option back from the sound settings.
How To Upload Transcript To YouTube?
If you have a subtitle a text file, you are ready to upload the content on YouTube. Here is how to do it.
- Head over to your YouTube dashboard. Then tap on the Edit button located next to your videos > Subtitles/cc > Add new Subtitles > Select a language > Transcribed and auto-sync and then paste the text there. It takes a few mins to sync it. Then make sure to come after 10-15 mins and then publish it. Also, turn off the automatic one. I used this technique to transcribe some old videos, the accuracy was more than 80% all the time.
If you want to want to get begin, simply install and open Voicera and then log in using your email. If you are going to use it as a voice recorder, you must give it all the necessary permission. Now, if you want to Record anything just press the red “Record” button in the middle and put your phone located next to the audio source. Click on the stop button once you’re done. When you satisfied, click on save or press “Discard” if you like to start over. And it’ll share the transcription on your email.
Here’s all about ‘Transcribe YouTube Video or audio’. I hope you find it helpful. If you want to share anything regarding this article then let us know below!