How To Turn Off Windows 8.1 Startup Programs
Do you want to turn off Windows 8.1 Startup Programs? Windows rebooting is a difficult process. There may be different factors that are involved, and it might take few minutes, but some people don’t want to reboot their PC fearing that they want to reopen all windows from their earlier session, wasting too much time. So, in this situation, Windows built-in feature Startup items come to the rescue. Startup items are the documents, applications, or folders that you want to automatically start up or open whenever you boot or log in to Windows. You can also add or erase these items whenever you like, but if you’re unsure how to do that on Windows 8.1, here’s our easy guide.
How To Turn Off Windows 8.1 Startup Programs:
Turn On Or Off Windows 8.1 Startup Programs From Task Manager:
You may remember in earlier versions of Windows you could easily manage the apps. The apps that launch at system boot after executing the System Configuration tool through the “msconfig” run command. They are followed by choosing the Startup tab. In Windows 8, Microsoft moved the Startup tab from the System Configuration tool to Task Manager giving easier access. If you want to turn on or off existing startup apps, just follow these instructions.
To begin, right-tap the Taskbar and choose Task Manager from the context menu.
When the Task Manager window appears, head over to the Startup. Here you will view a complete list of items that set to automatically launch upon system boot. The list contains each item’s name, status (turn on or off), publisher (if any), and Startup impact. If you want to turn on or off a program, just highlight it from the list and then tap the ‘Enable’ or ‘Disable’ button under the left tab.
Add Or Erase Files, Programs, & Folders In Startup Directory
The Startup tab in Task Manager is best for easily turning on or off existing startup apps. But if you like to custom define these apps or programs. Not just apps but also files or folders, you can use the Startup Programs folder. Come let’s check how to:
- Tap the Start Menu Orb to just access the Start Screen. You can then input “run” (without quotations) and hit Enter or tap the magnifying glass button.
- From the Run Command window, input “shell:startup” (without quotations) in the text field and tap OK or hit the Enter key.
- As it opens the Startup folder of Windows which lets you add programs or files here just to automatically launch them. This folder might already have startup apps shortcuts already set to autoboot. But you can also create a shortcut to the file or program you like to open.
There are two techniques you can use to add shortcuts here. The easiest way to add shortcuts is by right-tapping the item and choosing ‘Create Shortcut’ from the context menu. You can also copy/paste this shortcut to Startup Folder.
- On the other hand, you can also specify the latest shortcuts from the Startup Folder. To do that, head over to New > Shortcut in the context menu.
- In the Create Shortcut window, just add the item’s path in the location field and then tap Next.
- Add a mandatory shortcut name and tap Finish to successfully complete the process. As it, specifies the program, folder or file will now automatically open whenever you initiate Windows.
Now you’ll understand how to turn off Windows 8.1 startup programs or apps. If you have any queries and questions then let us know below!