Ways To Assign A Static IP Address To Wireless Devices
In the network, each and every device is to assign a static ip address. The router also assigns the dynamic IP Address to every device. Also, this process is called DHCP. The abbreviation of DHCP is the Dynamic Host Control Protocol. Most of the time we also need our devices to have the same IP address that is the Static IP. Due to this every time it can connect to the network. The main reason is that:
- To access your computer from the Internet.
- In order to share the data between two devices on the same network.
- You can quickly access your Network Printer or NAS.
- Also, use your computer as a media server.
- Now you can work on the Wi-Fi that requires you to use a Static IP address.
- 1 How to choose the IP Address?
- 2 Ways to set up a static IP on the iPhone and iPad
- 3 Ways to setup static IP to any Device from Router
How to choose the IP Address?
In case, if two devices of the network devices have the same IP address. In this case, you can also be conflicts. This is the Internet that would not work on one of them or both. So, it depends on your router. Also, this process is very important to assign a unique IP address to your computer. In this, there are a lot of ways to pick an unused IP address for your device.
In this instance, the first thing that you can find on your device is the IP address. It is said that the 192.168.1.7 and then keep the first three values 192.168.1 as it. After that, you can now replace the last digit with some of the numbers like 192.168.1.222. You just have to make sure the last digit should be between a 0-255 range.
To assign a Static IP address to most devices is easy. You just have to go to its network settings and look for the DHCP option and turn it OFF. When you do that then you will see a text area to enter Static IP address. You just have to enter the new IP address then you can save changes and that’s it. In the below area of the article, there are some of the guidelines about how to Assign Static IP addresses to various Operating Systems.
How to Assign A Static IP Address on Windows 10/8/7:
Now you can do this quickly through the command line. Also, you will need to first find your subnet mask, default gateway, and network adapter name. In most cases, if you are on a Wi-Fi network then the adapter name is Wi-Fi. In order to find yours just type the following command. ipconfig
- When you get the output and find the Network Adapter then it has IP listed under it. Now the adapter name is a one-word name that can be suffixed to the end of the Network Title. Then you will have and then also need the Subnet Mask and then the Default Gateway Address.
- When you have the adapter name, Subnet Mask, and Default Gateway and then run the following command.
- netsh interface ip set address name=”Wi-Fi” static 192.168.1.106 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1
- By the Wi-Fi, it should be replaced by your adapter name and the IP address, subnet mask, and gateway address. So that it is according to your configuration.
- Also, this will change your IP address from DHCP. In order to manual with the static IP address, that you have specified.
- By this, if you can find it too confusing then you are not alone. Then you can do the same via a Graphic user interface which is much more intuitive. After that, you will need the Subnet Mask and Default Gateway Address. This will also refer to the above step on how to find these details. When you have noted down the address then click on the Start Menu. You have to type in Network and Sharing Center. You just have to click on the once when you see the Network and Sharing Center Icon.
- On the other hand, if you are in Windows 10 then you can right-click on the Start menu and then click on the Network Connections.
- Then you will see a new window that will also open. Tap on the Change Adapter Options.
- Now right-click on your Current Network Adapter just like Wi-Fi and then choose Properties.
- If the new window screen can pop up then select the Internet Protocol Version 4 TCP/IPv4 version. Then click on the Properties.
- When you get the pop-up window then select the Enter the IP address you want and fill it with the IP Address. Using the Subnet Mask, and the Default Gateway Address you have to enter the values. After that, you have noted down previously and then tap on the OK to save changes.
- If you want to switch the dynamic IP. Then click on Obtain the IP address automatically. When this can be enabled then your system will start picking up an IP address dynamically from the router.
Ways to set up a Static IP address on Ubuntu:
- If you are using Ubuntu then you can set a static IP Address using the terminal or Graphic user interface. At the very first, you just have to start with the command line. Then right-click on anywhere on the desktop to open the terminal.
- When the terminal window opens then we can need to run a command. If we need the subnet mask and the network adapter name. Then you can set a static IP and then get that. Now run the following command on the terminal. ifconfig -a
- When you have the subnet mask then note down it. By this it has the 255.255.255.0 then we can proceed further.
- This is very pretty simple and straight forward. Now we can need to open the Network Adapter settings. If you want to do that the click on the Network Icon at the top right corner of the desktop.
- Then you can navigate on the active network and then click on the expand button for more options. Tap on the Wired Settings to open the Network menu.
- When you can get the Wired Settings dialogue then make sure that you are on the Network page. Tap on the Settings icon that is beside the active network to open the adapter network properties.
- If you can get the pop-up menu. Now you have to navigate to the IPv4 tab to change the IP settings.
- Using the IPv4 tab you have to select the radio button that says the Manual. Also, the text fields will appear then you need to enter the IP address. The Netmask and Gateway accordingly can get it is validated. After that, you can click on the Apply button to register the changes.
- Then you can need to restart the network for the changes to take effect. If you can do it manually using the command line or just switch off and switch on the Network adapter. When it is done then run ifconfig on the terminal in order to check the IP address. This should be the same IP address which you have specified earlier.
Ways to setup static IP on Mac:
In this case, if you are on macOS then set the static IP address that is quite similar to that of Ubuntu. Now here you do not need the subnet mask or Default Gateway Address. Then right-click on the apple icon at the top left corner of the desktop. Tap on the System Preferences from the dropdown menu list.
- When you open the System Preferences and dialogue box displays. You can also navigate to the Network. Tap on it to open the Network Settings.
- On the other hand, if you can also tap Cmd+Space to trigger the Spotlight search. Then you can type the Network and in the search bar. Tap on the icon once it appears. It will also directly navigate you to the Network Settings.
- With the pop-up window, you can select an active network interface. In this case, if I am connected to a WiFi network that this is my active network is Wi-Fi. You just have to make sure that you are on the active network tab and then click on Advanced.
- Using the new window will also open the configuration settings for that adapter. You just have to move over to the IP settings by clicking on the TCP/IP tab.
- With this, it can configure the IPv4 menu then choose by Using the DHCP with manual address. Now you can enter a static IP address in the IPv4 Address and leave the Subnet Mask. This is just because of the Router field as default. After that click on the Ok and then save the changes.
- In this case, when you do an ifconfig then the system should be using the static IP. Then you have to defined in the previous times. Now the IP address has not changed and then try restarting the Wi-Fi and it should fix it.
- In order to switch back to the dynamic IP and move back to the Using DHCP from the Configure IPv4 menu.
Ways to Setup in order to assign a static ip address Android
You can also set a static IP address that can be natively done on Android. This is in the way to do that and it might be different on every phone. Just because of the manufacturer’s skin. You will also see how to do it on Pixel3 and then the process should be similar on other phones as well. Then Move over to the Settings menu and then tap on Network & Internet. Also, at the top of the menu and you will see Wi-Fi. Click on it to get to the Wi-Fi Settings.
- Using the network setting in which you are connected that you should be on top of the list. Click on the settings icon that is beside the Wi-Fi network name.
- When the pop-up opens then you will see IP settings available at the bottom of the menu. Now the default option is DHCP. Click on it to change the IP configuration.
- Then select the Static IP address from the presented drop-down menu. Now you can enter the desired IP address and then leave the other options as default. You just have to make sure that the other devices are not using the same IP address. If you can see the IP address of the other devices then this is in your network. This can be done by using a small utility called Fing. When you have entered the IP address then click on Save in order to register the change. By using your Android phone you can now start using the desired IP Address.
- This almost all the Android versions so that if you can get the option to set static IP Address. With some of the rare cases, the Android versions then you can use a third-party app like Wi-Fi Static. This is the free version and this does not require the ROOT.
- If you want to switch back to the dynamic IP. Then they can repeat the same procedure and then select the DHCP with the IP settings instead.
Ways to set up a static IP on the iPhone and iPad
- In this case, if you are using an iPhone or iPad then you can set a static IP Address natively. Then this would also need the Subnet Mask of your network. Now you can also be obtained from the Wi-Fi settings and then we would see it. In order to get started then click on the Settings icon in the dock in order to get to the Settings menu.
- You have to open the Settings menu page. Click on the Wi-Fi in order to get to the Wi-Fi settings.
- When the Wi-Fi page opens then you should also see your connected Wi-Fi network at the top. Then click on the I button that is beside it. Then this will also open the Wi-Fi configuration window.
- When the Wi-Fi settings page then they can also appear and you will see an option called Configure IP. Then this would be set to automatic. You just have to the below this option then you will see the Subnet Mask. Now you can note it down and it has we will need it in the further steps. Then you have to set the static IP then we need to change the Configure IP to Manual. Click on it and then it will also open the IPv4 settings page.
- Now, this should be 3 options that available that is the Configure IPv4 page. Then select the Manual from it. If this is the Manual IP then this is enabled and you will also get the extra text fields at the bottom to enter the IP Address. They also include the Subnet Mask and the Router. This will also need to fill in the IP Address in our choice and Subnet Mask. So, that we can note it down in the previous step. Then this is that after you can fill both the fields and the save button at the top right corner will be enabled. Tap on it and then save the static IP configuration.
- After that, when you return to the Wi-Fi settings page. Then you will also see your device is using the Static IP address. Also, this should be the same IP address we can have set in the IP configuration menu.
- This is a static IP address and will be applicable only to that particular Wi-Fi network. Then you can connect to some other Wi-Fi network and then the IP will change accordingly. To assign a static ip address you have to follow the above guidelines.
Ways to setup static IP to any Device from Router
With the other network devices, it is just like your Wireless Printer, PS4, NAS, IP Camera, Raspberry Pi. This is not having an Interface. Although, You can now go to configure the network and this can either go and you have to connect remotely or use the router. In this case, if you have access to the router then the setting of the static IP for network devices. This is also the easiest and convenient way. Then it would also recommend this method over any other.
If you want to assign a Static IP Address to any network device. Then you can need to login to the web portal of the router. Now the web portal address, username, and password are mostly printed behind the router. Due to this, you do not have physical access to the router. Then the web portal URL is mostly the PC’s gateway address. If you want to find it then open the command prompt and type the following command. ipconfig | findstr “Default Gateway”
When you have the web portal loaded then log in with the credentials. This is not every router has a different web UI, but the overall structure is the same. Most importantly if you will have to link the IP Address to the Mac Address and Hostname of the device. Then we can need to find the MAC address and the Hostname of the network device. If you want to do that then look for the DHCP client list that should look something like the given screen.
So, this is all about it to assign a static IP address.
Related Articles: Different Ways To Edit PSD Files Without Photoshop
The router also assigns the dynamic IP Address to every device. Also, this process is called DHCP. The abbreviation of DHCP is the Dynamic Host Control Protocol. Most of the time we also need our devices to have the same like to assign a static IP address.
Hope you like this article! If you still have any questions free to ask in the comment section.