Ways To Insert Footnotes In Microsoft Word _ Guide
There are some of the ways that can help you to Insert Footnotes in Microsoft Word. Then it can also sometimes be helpful to add notes. These notes can help you to get your documents in Microsoft Word. Now, it can especially get true for academic writing. So, that where you might want to cite another publication. This is one of the ways to do this is by inserting the footnotes or in the endnotes into your document.
Now, the Footnotes also appear at the bottom of each page in your document. Then in the endnotes that can appear at the end of your document. So, here is how you can insert them in Microsoft Word.
How To Insert Footnotes in Microsoft Word
- So, Microsoft Word also offers that this has the ability is to add footnotes and endnotes to Word documents for many years. Then these instructions are you should work in all modern versions of the software.
- In order to add a footnote in Word then you have to open your document and place your blinking cursor at a point within your document. In case, if you are citing another publication then this would also usually be at the end of a sentence.
- Now, this position also becomes the reference point for your footnote. If you want to add the footnote then click on the References. Then click on the Insert Footnote from the ribbon bar.
- After that, the footnote will also insert this at this point. Now, a small superscript number will also place at the reference point. You can also match the number in the section just above the page footer.
- Then Each of the added footnotes will also appear at the end of each page. Also, the reference numbers will also be used sequentially throughout your entire document.
- Now you can also add the note or cited reference here for you to refer back to.
- After that can also hover over the reference number in your document in order to get a quick view of the footnote that can attach to it.
- In order to cycle through all of your footnotes that are in turn then click on the References. In the end, you have to click on the Next Footnote.
How To Insert Endnotes in Microsoft Word:
- In case, if you don’t want to clutter each page with footnotes then you could use endnotes instead. Also, these can work in a similar way with a superscript reference point that can insert at any of the points in your document.
- This can, unlike the footnotes, endnotes that can only appear at the end of a section or the end of your document. In case, if you are not using the section breaks. In order to insert them then you can open your document and then place your blinking cursor at an appropriate place.
- If you are ready then click on the References. Then click on the Insert Endnote to insert the endnote.
- It was just like the footnotes than a superscript number or letter that will also appear next in order to get your reference point once inserted. So, this will also match the number or letter shown in your endnotes.
- By using the endnotes section and then you can add a note or cited reference. After that click on the next in order to the matching number or letter.
- Then these numbers or letters will also proceed sequentially throughout your document.
- Now, you can also use the hover over the reference point in order to get quickly view the note or citation attached to your endnote.
- In order to go through each of your endnotes and then click on the arrow button that is next to the Next Footnotes button in the References. You have to click on the Footnotes section.
- By this, you have to click on a Next Endnote.
How to Customize Both of them?
Now, you can also customize how your footnotes and endnotes appear in Word. Then this is also possible in order to change the superscript references to the numbers. It also includes letters or symbols. Now, you can also set this where the footnotes or the endnotes appear on your document.
Steps To Customize:
- In order to do this, you have to click on the References option and then click on the arrow icon that is available in the bottom-right corner of the Footnotes section.
- Then you can press the radio button for that it can either Footnotes or Endnotes that is available at the top of the Footnote and Endnote settings box. So, this will also allow you to begin changing the appropriate settings for each feature.
- If you want to change the superscript references to the numbers. The letters, or symbols and then select an option from the Number Format drop-down menu.
- After that, you can also use a custom symbol for your footnotes or endnotes. Just by clicking on the Symbol button that has next to the Custom mark box.
- In case, if you would prefer to start your footnotes or endnotes at a custom point. Then you can select your chosen letter or number from the Start at the box.
- Now, you would also get the rather that have the footnotes that can appear below on your inserted text. This can also rather get and then at the end of the page, you have to choose Footnotes. In the next step, you have to select the Bottom of page or Below text from the drop-down menu.
- Also, if you want to set the endnotes in order to appear at the bottom of a section. This can also get the rather than the bottom of the document. Now you can also choose the Endnotes and then select the End of section or End of the document that is from the drop-down menu.
- Tap on the Apply to apply the changes you have made to your document.
So, this is all about to insert footnotes in Microsoft Word.
So, using the footnotes and endnotes that are just one way to build effective skills is by using Microsoft Word. In case, if you are writing a large document then you can track your changes in Word in order to let you switch between versions easily.
Related Article: Ways To Make Two Columns In Google Docs _Guide
Hope this article will help you to solve this issue!